Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Quilt Retreat

This was a wonderful 3 day retreat where I finished two small pieces (seen here previously) and started another basic block pattern called Fabric Fling. My quilting friends were so good to me and it was great seeing every one again after a short absence.

It has been my practice to venture out to new colors and approaches to my quilting and quilt art. Pink and black are not my favorite colors. So I intentionally brought a bucket of my most playful bright colors and let it talk to me. Sometimes as artists we become accustomed to the same family of colors- gold/browns or blue/green/purple or black/white or cream/tan. You get it. My really favorite color combo is blue/green/purple. My sewing room has many buckets of quilting or batik fabrics which cover that family group. So I will be showing you this example (which is a work in progress) It is called "Pretty Pooches in a Puppy Pen". My husband and only 'at home critic' states I should return to working with quilt art pieces which I will do but this one was fun and there is a strong color contrast and movement.
In the discussion there is a thought- to quilt or to do quilt art. As you may know from previous emails, I am still a traditional quilter but quilt art is a new venture. Sometimes your confidence or your inspiration may not be strong. As an artist you need to feel in your heart that piece works. I havent really found that - but I'm getting there.

Good news! About two weeks ago I went to my favorite quilt shop where owner/friend told me it may be too late to enter my latest two pieces in the quilt show in Somers NY on May4,5 2006. She gave me the name of the coordinator who told me that the registration was moved back to March 1st. So we ended our conversation that I should plan on it for next year. An hour later she called back and assured me that if there was room-- my two little quilts would be added (just not in the catalog) Judged too. I was so happy. My last 6 mos have been a test - entering these little quilts was so important to regaining my life. The two choices are "The Many Moods of Chico" and "Ripples". Both of these have been on this blog previously. The point is not that I am expecting big awards or recognition, it means more to me that this is the first time for this show (which is pretty big around here) to take courage and show my work. The first time ever was 6 weeks after my surgery and I rolled around the quilt show in a wheel chair. So this is progress. I'm walking-- no wheelchair. Anyway many years of quilting and preparing quilt art have gone by and no one (other than family) has seen it.
Spring is glorious. The forstheia are in bloom. I'm off to my sewing. By the way I volunteered at the local hospital for 3 days a week. That felt good.

No comments: