Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Latest work

This week my blocks from my last class were completed into two wall hangings. The first one is cut up or scrambled. It is called Mixed Salad. The second one is called Salad Plates. Truth is when the first set of blocks were done they didnt come out too good and I needed to be creative in their construction. Those were done with thin batting behind them. The original fabric was all fruits and vegetables. The cherry fabric will be added as a border. The second one is the original pattern from Diane Hire's book Quilters Playtime. -- pattern called Tiddly Winks (circles inside circles) Each of those blocks has muslin as the backing. Also I changed the pattern a little to make it come out correctly. Both of them will be sold as wall hangings for the kitchen.

So far my web site using Google advertising has not produced any responses. Has anyone used Google? If you have a better way to get your website out there and selling- please let me know (www.jeanneoberrieth.com) They are very expensive.

I am so looking forward to going to Santa Fe this weekend with my Nikon camera. Years ago we went to Hawaii and I devoted myself to finding great pictures. Of course Hawaii is a beautiful place and it is easy to find a lovely pictures. Back in 1971 my husband, his mother, brother and myself spent a month traveling around the West- 9 National Parks, 3 major cities, in a plane, in a boat, a jeep, sand track truck, on horse back- from 32* tp 105* - it was one of the most fantastic trips I have ever been on- My mother in law is a great planner. So that is why Santa Fe (which we missed last time) should be a special place. It is so different to where we live now in New York where there is so much lush green trees. In addition there are yarn/wool shops in Taos where they dye the yarn in beautiful colors. I'm sure this will inspire me to try something- like "Portals". There is a new challenge coming around on the Quilters Studio (Delphi Forums) where they are asking you to create an original piece based on the word "Portals". It is not fully organized but the discussion is rolling along.

What strikes me now as I look at these two last pieces, is every week my imagination seems to go down a different road. From fairy wings to vegetables------ before that it was pink Pretty Pooches. Do you work that way? Or are you more organized-- working in a series? There are ladies who are determined to finish every project and others who have several pieces in progress at the same time. Which are you?

2 comments:

Sandra said...

Well, sometimes I have too many projects in progress and sometimes I try to do one then move on to the next. My natural inclination is to work on a lot at once, however that leads to having too many unfinished things lying around. So I'm trying, with fabric, to finish the things I start before moving on to more.
I hope your website becomes more successful for you. I have no good advice but I think your quilts are beautiful and look very well crafted.

Debra Dixon said...

I generally have less than 3 projects in various stages at one time. I have plenty mentally planned but until I cut the fabric, they can change. I tend to finish all of my projects. And, I generally work on them as they relate to themes or series.