Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Just Back from Santa Fe

We had a lovely short vacation and took advantage of the great weather just before their heat wave. Santa Fe has so many art galleries and museums. We spent time walking all over town- some old mission churches, the pottery, Georgia O'Keefe museum and lotsa of Mexican food. On Saturday of Memorial Day weekend we had a special dinner at the Geronimo (reservations required) for our anniversary of 39 yrs.

In addition we visited Los Alamos, Bandeleir National Monument and Taos. It was great fun to take my Nikon out again. Years ago we had visited 9 National Parks in Nevada, Utah and Arizona so we are very familiar with the west. It is a bit striking to go from the green lush valleys of New York and then fly into Dallas and Albuquerque- flat desert. Fortunately Santa Fe is at a higher elevation (7000ft) so the temperature is slightly lower and no humidity.

Part of my photographic expedition was to take shots for "still Life" pieces which has been added to my various projects. These photos are now showing on my Webshots.com gallery which you can find at joberr124. It is called Santa Fe and Bandeleir. In one photograph there is a ladder going up to a cave dwelling. Unintentionally it came out in a Black and White setting even though the film was in color. I'll take it as is- for me it works in a textile format. There was scrub brush and cactus which were also very interesting. In addition the shot of 5 flower pots with a shadow might fit in with the theme on the still life group. As you can tell this was an inspiring trip in a different space and time. I needed this.

This trip gave me several other art images to work with. While we were eating lunch at a restaurant in Taos - I started drawing on the wax paper table cloth. Together with my husband we put together an image over an image of three adobe windows with the camel colored stucco and the bright blue window frames. We packed the paper table cloth in his bag. I couldnt resist sketching the ideas that were popping into my head.

The trip was too short. Back to reality

No comments: