Sunday, March 05, 2006

This Week

Here it is my home work plus "the Ghost". Foot Loose"" has some personal meaning for me as a Journal Quilt both for class at QU and also for the Journal Quilt Challenge. There is so much behind that surgery (9/2005) to remove melanoma cancer from the bottom of my right foot. They say acceptance is part of recovery. Emotionally this is only 6 mos old and still a little sensitive for me. Not only was there surgery on my right foot (after 8hrs and 9days inpatient and 3 mos limited at home recovery) but also the skin graft was taken from my left wrist (2" in diameter) which left a sizeable scar. When you lose your independence - there is so much to think and appreciate all the things you use to do and cant. I'm back - out and about and almost as active as before. Life marches on.

The Pineapple block is the beginning of a quilt I had planned to do when I was operated on. I missed out on a class given near by. So this QU class has opened up a great opportunity to expand on a traditional block and expand the design.

The Ghost"" now has more of the free motion stitching, beads and sequins as well as angelina fiber (as the white snow blowing). There is fine netting over all the bead/sequin work as well as some metallic thread and "sliver" thread. The tree itself has some silver thread work as well. This piece could be redone in a smaller version for the journal quilt class. It tends to give you a dark mood.

1 comment:

Deb Hardman said...

I like your ghost. It reminds me of some of the trees along the inlet here, where the winds blow hard, & the trees grow sideways.